Mawrter Musing

It's a jouncing joy-ride…

Misery Business (BMC 4)

Things overheard at Bryn Mawr – “Don’t say to me, ‘I’m too busy to do something.’ We’re all busy. Even with 5 classes (2 of which are 300 levels), 3 jobs, and 2 elected positions…I keep up with my commitments, then so can you.”

I include this quote as a starting point to today’s topic. Many Mawrters are in the bad habit(s) of: doing more things than would be considered wise by most humans, AND/OR proclaiming they are busy. What this leads to are: all nighters and misery poker.

All-nighter: staying up all night in order to finish homework.

Misery poker: when people try to one-up each other in terms of work.

These two items have gained such notoriety that it is an adage that “you will pull (at least) one all-nighter during your college career” and Mawrters frequently complain of their vast amounts of homework. Now, I will tell you, you do not have to do either of these things. I have never pulled an all-nighter, and I’m pretty sure I never will. I have 1 1/2 jobs, 4 classes + Chamber Singers and Voice, and am fairly content. Is that a ton of work…not really. I show up to engagements and have the time to do those things that are important to me. Being busy isn’t actually a trophy. Sometimes it’s just a sign that you’re not working efficiently enough.

Now, there is an unspoken communal value of not-revealing-of-grades. The lack of backbiting and aggressive competition is HIGHLY refreshing and wonderful. However, I do feel that misery poker is one of the results of this value. Instead of complaining about class rank, we instead use busyness to garner sympathy and be a shield.

I’m also pretty sure all this misery business is why Mawrters are so intent about Self-Care (a valuable concept which I will discuss later in the week since I need to catch up) and why we, as a group, have such poor health. I cannot tell you how often there is a campus-wide bug. We are sick waaaay too often. Period.

Seriously, we all need to start sleeping more.

Author: Zubin Hill

The writer from whom posts come.