Mawrter Musing

It's a jouncing joy-ride…

The Benefits of the Honor Code (BMC 9)

Alas! this be my last post (perhaps forever…)

Though I had thought to post about this year’s May Day, I’ve instead decided to go out discussing academics–which is the true Mawrter thing to do. As it is now finals season, this last post is about two gems of that period: Self-scheduled Exams & 24-hour Canaday. Both of these items are tied to Plenary which is tied to SGA which is (I think) tied to the Honor Code. This is why I consider them benefits of the honor code.

To be more descriptive, Self-Scheduled Exams are a direct result of the honor code. Their name is rather self-explanatory but I shall clarify a few points. Self-scheduled exams last the entirety of the finals period. Students are told by their professors if they will have a self-scheduled exam or a scheduled exam (it’s about a 70-30 split rate). I think the intro science and language courses largely account for all the scheduled exams. Anyway, the student then looks online for a time slot in which she can take her exam (they all run for 3 hours) and chooses whichever she’d like. Then you go to the Dean’s Office, get your test, and take it!

For myself, I LOVE SELF-SCHEDULED EXAMS! I can thus work most of finals period and stuff an exam where ever I feel like it. They are also a lot more relaxing than scheduled exams. You choose your test location from the 6-8 options and can camp out there, sloooowly dying during those 3 hours.

24-hour Canaday (Library) is, for a fact, a result of a Plenary petition. It is supposed to help those students who like/need to study/sleep in the library by allowing them unlimited access. The library is open 24 hours for most (if not all) of finals week. While I myself have never really partaken in it (as I don’t like to spend excessive hours of my life in the library–too isolating and quiet), I know others greatly appreciate the service.

So, I guess it’s goodbye, my friends. I am temporarily going to a different pasture and you…are doing whatever it is that you do.

Au revoir, chao, and sayonara!

Author: Zubin Hill

The writer from whom posts come.