Mawrter Musing

It's a jouncing joy-ride…

Moo-Moo Cajuboo

So,

It’s Fall Break.

I’m sitting in my dorm room.

And somehow, even when I feel free, I know I still have too much I should do.

I guess I can’t really (don’t really) want to believe it’s the half-way point. I haven’t done as well this year as I would have liked and already there have been a couple setbacks for me. But I’m pressing on.

This week I: scampered around trying to atone for my previous grade-related mistakes, had a Chamber Singers performance, and an Econ midterm. It is only after the break that I’ll see if I hath salvaged myself from the jaws of defeat and despair.

The Chamber Singers performance was an interesting experience. The play, the Events, is about a women who has part of her multi-cultural choir killed by an extremist. It attempts to highlight the mental experience of going through a traumatic event like that. As a member of the choir, and hence the show, who was also supposed to be an audience member (I’d never seen the script and was only given a vague idea of what was going to happen) I know I came away with a difference experience than the rest of the audience. I was constantly waiting for my queue and sometimes couldn’t hear the actors/didn’t dare listen so I didn’t miss my queue. I feel I would have processed the whole thing better if I’d had a reaction-mate–meaning a sister to gasp and whisper with. Often, it’s how I make sense of the world.

Overall, I do feel like the performance highlighted how both victim and perpetrator get swept up emotionally in a traumatic event.

My other tidbit is a result of the Bryn Mawr stress-game. As I am want to do, on Thursday I went into my roommate’s room to harass her. However, she was moping: feeling bad about class stuff. An intervention was required to get her back to her normal crazy, cat-noise self. This namely consisted of: two Sara Bareilles songs (I’ll post one), snickering (heh) at this book The Dark she tried to read (it’s by Lemony SNICKet), and giving her a lesson on Liberian vernacular [all movies, TV programs, whatevers = shows].

That’s how to handle the Mawrter-stress machine, in my opinion. Annoy the heck out of people. They’ll be so irritated they’ll forget all problems but you!

Hehe 😉

Author: Zubin Hill

The writer from whom posts come.