Mawrter Musing

It's a jouncing joy-ride…

To Yourself Be True (BMC 5)

Even though it’s Spring Break, since I promised you an entry, an entry is what I shall give!

A short personal addend before I get into business: I got accepted to study abroad in Toulouse! It was my top choice and, though I want to talk to Financial Aid to make sure everything is set and OK, I think I can go! Expect pictures of beautiful river scenes and French people next semester!

SELF CARE

So anyway, did I not say I would write about Self-Care?

Anyway, this post is really meant to intertwine with “Misery Business“–probably because the ideas are so incongruent.

Self Care is one of the first concepts I was introduced to at Bryn Mawr. Seriously, it’s like a buzzword. There’s like a Wellness committee who discusses…stuff. SGA talks about it. KCass (Our President) talks about it. The HAs and Customs people text, email, and whisper it in your ears while you sleep (K, just joking. They just text and email–no whispering–I promise! We’re not quite that weird here!) It’s all they talk about in the Wellness Seminar (our delightfully [boring/discomforting] health and wellness issues created exclusively to harangue the freshpersons).

So: I’ll keep you waiting no longer.

Self-Care: knowing and understanding your physical and mental needs to protect against the stresses and stressors of collegiate life => sleeping enough, eating well, exercising (as needed), etc.

Self-Care is about supporting yourself and knowing when to ask for space. While it sounds kinda cheesy, it’s actually a really nice concept. It’s about self love and having a supportive community–all in a non-obtrusive way.

Anyway, it’s all in the name of self-care that we have our truly awesome [but sadly, not this semester] 100 mile meals – food from within the 100-miles around Bryn Mawr. It’s why there were counseling hours offered when everyone was in an uproar about the hanging of the Confederate Flag. It’s why the HA’s give us candy semester-round (though I’ve never gotten any…) and especially why they give us candy near finals. And also why there was a petition to include Trigger Warnings (such as: we will discuss rape/race/violence) in course syllabi.

Author: Zubin Hill

The writer from whom posts come.